Read our advice and latest updates
Aghalee Village Hall is the last ‘Carnegie’ hall in NI. It was built and opened in 1933. It is a focus for all educational, social and community development activities in the area. Ours is a small local charity, and regular user groups benefit the people of the local community, many of whom are isolated by rurality and poverty. The hall is run and managed entirely by unpaid volunteers and is a neutral venue for the use of by the local community, who have a real say in what goes on by virtue of our AGM voting rules. We have great support from the local community and a large volunteer base, both from our committee members and from ‘friends of the hall’. It received The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service in 2005.
The hall is very well used but we cannot allow anyone to use the outdoor space due to it being in dangerous condition. There are at least four groups who would like to use the outdoor space, and in better weather we would be able to open the space to the public, bringing more people together and improving interest at the hall.